Gunnedah Family Support provides emotional and practical support, advocacy and assistance for people experiencing domestic and family violence. We have been supporting people who may be experiencing domestic and family violence for over 23 years and we understand the complex and destructive nature of domestic and family violence.
We provide domestic and family violence support groups, information and education for individuals and the community as we believe increasing awareness and developing support networks are the key to reducing this terrible and widespread problem. See our calendar for the dates for next support group to be running.
Am I in a Domestic or Family Violence Relationship?
If your partner or a family member is showing any signs on this list then you may be experiencing domestic violence.
- Is your partner jealous of your friends, family and even pets?
- Do you discourage people from phoning you at home when your partner is there because they resent it and make talking difficult or uncomfortable?
- Does your partner use bodily or facial expressions or noises to show extreme anger and loss of control, in order to frighten you?
- Does your partner threaten to ‘punish you’ or ‘teach you a lesson’ if you do not comply with their demands?
- Does your partner suggest that you are ‘stupid’ or ‘crazy’ if you disagree with them?
- Does your partner apologise and say the abuse is simply a sign of deep love or fear of losing your love?
- Does your partner claim to know the ‘right’ way to do things, and that you do not know what is ‘right’?
- Do you often feel like you are walking on egg shells?
- Does your partner keep guns, knives or other weapons close at hand?
- Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed by your partners presence whether they are with you or not?
For more information, select from the links below;